Built in 1933, Clifford Pier was a landing point for immigrants and other sea passengers. A red oil lamp used to hang from the pier as a guide to seafarers, earning the pier the name Red Lamp Pier. The pier was later used as a terminal for tourists and day trippers who boarded small boats and ferries heading for the Southern Islands.
Clifford Pier was located beside Collyer Quay at Marina Bay within the Downtown Core of Central Area, in Singapore’s central business district. To make way for Marina Barrage, the Pier had to be relocated. The Barrage is a being built in Singapore across the Marina Channel between the reclaimed lands of Marina East and Marina South. The S$226 million project scheduled to be completed in 2007, and will turn the Marina Bay and Kallang Basin into a new downtown freshwater reservoir. It is meant to provide water supply, flood control and a new lifestyle attraction.
Clifford Pier ceased operations on 1 April 2006, and was replaced by the Marina South Pier. Generations of Singaporeans bid farewell to a grand old building. Among them are Macrocosm