Thanks Sue, for digging up this old map of the Airbase, showing the small cul-de-sac, Inner Temple. Though no longer visible in all printed maps of Singapore, Streetdirectory still shows this location if searched. Just off Park Lane, opposite Kingfisher Club.
The Temple was occupied in the twelfth century by the Knights Templar, who gave the area its name, and built the Temple Church which survives as the parish church of the Inner Temple and Middle Temple. The Inner Temple was first recorded as being used for legal purposes when lawyers’ residences were burned down in Wat Tyler’s revolt. It is an independent extra-parochial area, historically not governed by the Corporation of London and equally outside the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Bishop of London.
The Inn suffered heavily from wartime bombing between September 1940 and May 1941, because of its proximity to the Thames. The buildings destroyed included the Library and the Hall although others, such as 2 King’s Bench Walk, were fortunate to survive.